Monday 24 March 2014

Sweet Potato Oatmeal Muffins & A Non-Productive Day!

Welocome to Monday... Well perhaps I should say Monday evening!  It was a ridiculous day.  Alarm goes off at 5:45 AM and it was SO hard to get up... ACK! Lunches for my husband Randy for his work week; Erika's lunch for school ready for and on the table... check and check!  Erika says we are almost out of muffins so I pin a mental note to my brain that I need to make some today.  Husband out the door, NOT on time, yes; daughter out the door, ON time... YES!

Now I am ready for my productive day.  Green tea to start; bed made, check on the jobs listings... sadly nothing of interest is posted.  Boot the computer, take my jar of leftover cooked squash out of the freezer and put it into the microwave to thaw for the muffins, and I plan on doing a blog post to be completed by 10 AM.  When the blog is updated, I can make the muffins and paint the basement ceiling!  It was SUPPOSED to be a productive day... but it went to hell and a hand basket! 

I sent a quick email to the brother-in-law about my limited ability for web design and then log into Blogger; and before I knew it, my morning was shot.  A little playing around here, and a little playing around there.  Can I do this?  Can I do that.  I want a custom header... how do I do that?  Well, as you well know... it was 11:30 and nothing was blogged, and I only managed a draft of today's recipe posting which of course reminded me of my muffin making task that was on my TO DO List for today.  STOP the computer time, blog is on hold... and off to the kitchen to make the muffins.  At least something got done today!  

I managed to grab a quick bite for lunch and take care of a few small chores and then before I knew it, there was no time to paint.  Perhaps tomorrow <sigh>!

Before we get to my muffin recipe, I want to point out that I substituted 1 cup of cooked squash for the sweet potatoes called for in the recipe.  Up to now, I have been using up my frozen leftover sweet potato mash from dinners gone by.  I had no more sweet potato so I used the the lonely jar of squash from my freezer.  This would be another of my frugal tips.  Save your little bits of mashed squash or sweet potato, half cup or more, and freeze for another day!  

Just so you know, the squash substitution worked beautifully!   And so, without adieu...

Sweet Potato Muffins

YIELD: 12-14 muffins
CATEGORY: Quick bread


INGREDIENTS
1 cup large flake oatmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup dried cranberries or raisins
1 cup fresh sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
1/2 to 3/4 cup light brown sugar, depending on your taste
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup skim milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla 


DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. In large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
  3. In another bowl, mix sweet potatoes, brown sugar, oil, milk, egg, vanilla and dries fruit till well combined.
  4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet one and mix, just until well moistened. Fill prepared muffin tins 3/4 full or use muffin papers.
  5. Bake 15-20 minutes.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. I would love to hear what you have to say!